Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Retreat to The Rear




Here is the rear with the new panel stitched in place. we also replaced the lower portion of the tailgate. But all is not disclosed. once we have the panels in and work on the hinge I found a picture of a 51 Willys and it had two taillights in the tailgate. But as you can see in the picture the holes for the taillights are in the fenders. So out comes the grinder and lo and behold the taillight holes had been filled with you guessed it: BONDO. So we then cut the rusty metal out and replaced it with good metal. It would have been easier to replace the tailgate but this was a learning experiment throughout this build. Darn I hate being over 21 and taking full responsibility for this build. Looking back I could have saved a lot of money by just buying a fully finished car, probably a Lexus!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like such a heachache to me, but I know you'll love it when it's done. How much of the work have you done yourself? Do you enjoy doing that kind of work or just the finished product?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too bad BUT this is the last car I build, could have had a Lexus instead. I've done a lot of "grunt" work like the frame and some non-skilled labor, but the welding has all been done by Bill and I have been on this for about 1500 hours. I enjoy it as it is getting finished and knowing that no one will have a car like it.

    ReplyDelete