Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Let's Get Started




You will see the term "we" used and "I". The "we" is myself and Bill Horne, owner of J&B Streetrods, the "I" is me. The "I" was mostly grinder work, procuring parts and the "we" is watching Bill do his thing and maybe handing him a wrench or two. I learned so much I told Bill I was going to open my own shop. He said you don't have to; I'll sell you one!






As with any good Doctor you always start at the rear and look for the wallet. So at the rear we begin. Below the tailgate was a piece of metal that was rusted in many places UNDER the Bondo. As we touched any piece of metal with a grinder, dust flew. So the first step was to reduce the Bondo to dust, get to bare metal, determine the damage and then replace the metal. The piece resting on the tailpipes in the picture fits underneath the tailgate. But first we had to replace a hinge piece for the tailgate to bolt onto. With that in place we then lined up the hinge bolts, drilled and put in Nutserts. After that it was almost easy, I say almost because the whole floor had to be replaced. I planned on driving the car in about 4 months and that almost would have worked if we used a 15 week per month calender. In the meantime I was unofficially named Parts Manager and I like to say; I got so good at what I did that no-one would leave me alone so I could do what I was so good at!



No comments:

Post a Comment